A stately, gleaming white manor rises formidably from the main road serving Malton from York. Settled on a hill overlooking North Yorkshire’s Howardian Hills, a mélange of green fields dappled with bales of hay unfold just beyond its immaculately landscaped gardens. A wall separates its sandy gravelled entrance from the main road, bordered by a manicured flurry of purples, greens and yellows. Pristinely-kept beds of lavender fringe the base of its majestic façade, flanking a doorway above which two words are emblazoned in polished gold lettering. Talbot Hotel.
The allure of its famous Executive Chef, James Martin, may entice punters to the Talbot Hotel, but it’s its own grandeur that makes an unforgettable first impression. A grade II* listed building situated in sublime surroundings, the Talbot Hotel was built as a hunting lodge in the 1700s, before trading as an inn from 1740 onwards. After reportedly falling into a state of decline, it was taken over by The Fitzwilliam Estate in 2011, which refurbished it to the tune of £4million, restoring it to its former glory and re-imagining it as a foodie destination with James Martin at the helm.